Monday, March 25, 2013

Play Time

How has play influenced your life?   Did your parents play with you as a child?

I grew up in a household with two brothers and one sister.  There was always someone to play with and always someone to get in trouble with.  I remember playing "snake" one Sunday after church.  We were probably not much older than this photo.  We had made paper snakes in Sunday School.  My mom was counting money in the backroom while we we were running in the sanctuary with the paper snake.  It was Christmas time and the church was decorated.  Can you see where this is going?  I'm not sure which one of us did it, but someone ran into the tree. CRASH!  The tree fell and the handmade ornaments were destroyed. Needless to say my mom was not too happy, and she was not too thrilled to tell the elderly lady that we wrecked her ornaments.  

My mom was busy while we were growing up. She had cooking, cleaning, laundry etc to do for the family. She rarely played with us.  However, even though she did not play with us, it was not her that I longed to play with us.  It was my dad.  I was jealous of dads that did things with their kids. It was apparent when my uncles would visit. They would be wrestling or playing basketball or going on bike rides with us. Where was my dad? Who knows?  Probably sitting in the living room reading the newspaper or taking a nap.  

Kids desire rough and tumble play.  Normally, you receive this type of play from your fathers.  However, I did not.  To this day as I look for a mate, I look for someone who will play with their children. Play or the lack of play impacts us even into adulthood.




7 comments:

  1. Do you credit for how many people respond to your blog? What else can I do to help you ace this?
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet,
    I don't credit for how many people respond, but thanks for reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa,
    I grew up with one brother and two sisters. And yes, there was always someone to play with in the family or in the neighborhood. I agree with your statement, "Play or the lack of play impacts us even into adulthood." Growing up, play and family time were important and thus, they were important when my husband and I raised our 4 children. Rough and tumble play is lots of fun for both moms and dads.
    Sharon Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa,

    I was an only child, but spent a lot of time with my cousins. I loved spending the night with them and having the opportunity to play with them every chance I got. We drove our grandparents crazy running, wrestling, and often screaming! I loved to play rough with my Dad. When I was four he was in a accident which paralyzed him. He was in the hospital and in a physical rehab center for two years. It was very difficult for me to number one not have my Dad around, but when he did return home we couldn't play like we always did.

    Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa,

    I grew up in a home with 3 sisters. There were times when we wanted to play rough and my dad would allow us to crawl all over him and wrestle. Even if he wasn't around we learned that we could wrestle one another. Sometimes my mother would break it up, but we were allowed to do it if someone didn't get hurt. It seems like it was in our nature to want to have rough and tumble play even though we were four girls. Those times bring back some good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darla
    I think I was always rough with my siblings. Wrestling was definitely the norm in the house. I always enjoyed when my cousins came over. More to wrestle with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melissa,

    I grew-up with three younger brothers. We all rough-housed with our dad. He would wrestle, hang us upside down by our feet, swing us around, and carry us over his shoulder. My brothers and I would do whatever it took to engage him and we would squeal in delight when he obliged. He liked to play king of the house! I did not rough play with my brothers; we saved that for our dad!

    Thank you for the memories,
    Debi

    ReplyDelete